For the past 11 years, the Brian Cherry Awards Forum has been an ACA Victorian Branch event, but we are now expanding this opportunity Australasia wide. The award honours the late Professor Brian Cherry of Monash University for his significant contribution to corrosion education, consulting and the Australasian Corrosion Association Inc.
The Brian Cherry Award Forum is open to postgraduate and final year undergraduate research students studying at an Australasian University. Applicants could be studying any aspect of corrosion, including but not limited to metallic and non-metallic corrosion, corrosion management, corrosion mitigation, and corrosion protection.
The award will be judged over 2 events (both conducted via Zoom in 2020 given COVID-19 restrictions): an initial 3 min thesis event and a subsequent final longer style presentation forum consisting of up to 4 winners selected from the 3 min thesis event.
Generous cash prizes are on offer to the top 4 student presenters.
Taking part in the Forum provides students with the opportunity to present their corrosion related research work as well as showcase their talent to their peers and the Australasian Corrosion Industry – including potential employers.
2020 Competition Details
1st place – $1,000
2nd place – $500
3rd place – $250
4th place – $100
Monday 21st of September (CoB)
Acceptance of selected abstracts
Week of 12th October 2020
First Round – Three Minute Thesis
Wednesday 11th November 2020
Second Round – Full Presentation
Wednesday 25th November 2020
- Applicants submit an abstract of the presentation (no more than 1 page of A4, including any illustrations) via the BCA Portal
- Applicants obtain permission from their supervisor and report this by completion on the attached pro-forma.
- The award will be judged over 2 events (both conducted via Zoom in 2020 given COVID-19 restrictions); an initial 3 min thesis event and a subsequent final longer style presentation forum consisting of up to 4 winners selected from the 3 min thesis event. A minimum 2-week gap between the events will to allow finalists to prepare their presentation for the 2nd round
- Each of the local ACA Branches will review abstracts submitted by students associated with their branch and select up to two students to represent their branch in the 3 min thesis event.
- Presenters will be judged on scientific content and presentation skills. The awards will be made on the night following the final round of presentations.
Guidelines for Eligibility
- Applicant must be attending an Australasian University
- The applicant is either a postgraduate research candidate or final year student in corrosion.
- If working towards a PhD, the applicant must not have submitted their thesis prior to the Brian Cherry Award Forum.
- The applicant could be studying any aspect of corrosion, including but not limited to metallic and non-metallic corrosion, corrosion management, corrosion mitigation, and corrosion protection.
- The judging panel will consist of three ACA members.
- Prizes are only awarded in response to applications. If no applications have been received that are deemed by the Judging Panel to warrant an award, then no prizes will be awarded.
- The Judging Panel’s decision is final.
- Each award recipient provides permission for their names/images to appear in ACA publications.
- Applicants must be current members of the ACA – If you’re eligible to enter this forum, you’ll also be eligible for an ACA student Membership, priced at just $30 – click here to register.
Abstract Submission for the Brian Cherry Awards Forum has now closed, thanks to all our entrants.
|2009||Rajeev Gupta||Arun Kumara||Samson Sim||Abhishek Saxena|
|2012||Muhammad Awais Javed||B.V Mahesh||Yafei Zhang||Xian Zhou|
|2014||Muhammad Awais Javed||Shravan Kumar Kairy||Michael Lo||Brendon Grey|
|2015||Xiaojian Xia||Facundo Varela||Muhammad Wasim||Amy Spark, Yajie Wu|
|2016||Elizabeth Mathews||Shyama Ranade||Jessica Lyndon||Jodie Yuwono|
|2017||Yu Peng||Rukshan Azoor||Qing Cao||Hoang Phan|
|2018||Rukshan Azoor||Fangjie Chen||Mauricio Latino||Seyyed Sobhan|
|2019||Majid Laleh||Victor Cruz de Faria||Kai Rui Wang||Mehdi Behrouzvaziri|
|2009||Prof. Brian Cherry||Dr Bruce Hinton||Dr Graeme Sussex|
|2010||Prof. Brian Cherry||Dr Bruce Hinton||Dr Chris Weale|
|2011||Dr Chris Weale|
|2012||Dr Chris Weale|
|2013||Dr Chris Weale|
|2014||Prof. Brian Cherry||Dr Chris Weale||Dr Graeme Sussex|
|2015||Prof. Brian Cherry|
|2016||Assoc. Prof. Scott Wade||Prof. Maria Forsyth||Dr Rob Francis|
|2017||Prof. Brian Cherry||Assoc. Prof. Scott Wade||Dr Rob Francis|
|2018||Assoc. Prof. Scott Wade||Prof. Nick Birbilis||Sarah Furman|