Duration: 6 Days
The CP 3—Cathodic Protection Technologist Course builds on the technology presented in the CP 2 – Cathodic Protection Technician course.
Who Should Attend: Persons who have extensive CP field experience and a strong technical background in cathodic protection.
- Understand activation, concentration and resistance polarization and the mathematical expressions of these concepts
- Factors that affect polarization (area, temperature, relative movement, ion concentration, oxygen concentration)
- Understand the concept of current distribution and be able to determine ideal current distribution for a CP system taking into account the factors affecting current distribution (anode-to-cathode separation distance, electrolyte and structure resistivity variation, current attenuation)
- Perform advanced cathodic protection testing using correct measurement techniques to monitor CP system performance and accurately interpret the data collected to ensure optimum CP system performance.
- Identify errors in data collection/CP measurements including contact resistance errors, voltage drop errors and, reference electrode errors
- Conduct and document interference tests where stray currents are suspected to determine if interference exists and identify the source of the interference
- Upon determination of interference, identify and implement a method of control that will mitigate the effects of the stray current
- Design and install simplistic forms of galvanic and impressed current cathodic protection facilities and perform the necessary mathematical calculations
Course Format: 6 Day Classroom Course
- Theoretical concepts and practical application of cathodic protection with a strong focus on interpretation of CP data
- CP troubleshooting and mitigation of problems that might arise in both galvanic and impressed current systems.
- Strong algebra background
- Basic understanding of trigonometry and geometry (recommended)
Prerequisites for Certification:
To achieve certification for NACE Cathodic Protection CP3 Technologist there are prerequisites, for more information please click HERE