- May 6, 2019 - May 10, 2019
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Venues are confirmed one month prior to course commencement. All confirmed registrations will receive an email with the address details at that time.
Duration: 5 Days
The CP 1 – Cathodic Protection Tester course presents CP technology to students entering the cathodic protection industry. The course concludes with a with practical (hands-on) examination. Students are also required to sit a theory examination after the course concludes at a Pearson VUE testing centre.
Who Should Attend:
Anyone responsible for gathering and/or recording data for CP systems or measuring the effectiveness of CP systems.
- Basics of electricity, electrical laws, electrochemistry, corrosion and CP theory
- Polarity related to current flow and metal corrosion activity
- Conduct tests to identify shorts and continuity tests in CP systems
- Use test instruments to perform a variety of field tests such as structure-to-soil potentials, voltage and current measurements, soil resistivity, pipe/cable locating and rectifier readings
- CP components including impressed current systems, galvanic anodes and test stations
- Read shunts and understand their use in rectifiers, bonds, and anodes
- Perform periodic surveys to confirm the effectiveness of a CP system
- Reference cells, their maintenance, use, and precautions
- Basic location mapping, report preparation, and record keeping
- Review safety issues specific to CP
- Code requirements related to CP
5 Day Classroom Course
- Theoretical knowledge and practical fundamentals for testing on both galvanic and impressed current CP systems
- Basic electricity
- Electrochemistry and corrosion concepts
- CP theory
- CP systems
- CP field measurement techniques
The following is strongly recommended, but not required:
High school diploma or GED
Six months CP work experience
Ability to perform basic math calculations (simple algebra, fractions, and conversions)
Access the Math Assessment Test at this link
Access the Ohm’s Law Test at this link
Please note the Theory examination for this course is taken separately after the completion of the course through a Pearson VUE Testing Centre, waiting times for an appointment may apply.