- October 21, 2019 - October 25, 2019
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Venues are confirmed one month prior to course commencement. All confirmed registrations will receive an email with the address details at that time.
Duration: 5 Days
The CP 2—Cathodic Protection Technician course provides intermediate-level training in theoretical knowledge and practical fundamentals for testing on both galvanic and impressed current CP systems. The course concludes with a with practical (hands-on) examination. Students are also required to sit a theory examination after the course concludes at a Pearson VUE testing centre.
Who Should Attend:
Students with a working knowledge of cathodic protection or have extensive cathodic protection field experience with a technical background.
A comprehensive knowledge of electrochemistry, electricity, electrical laws, series and parallel circuits, meter operation, and CP fundamentals are necessary for understanding the material in this course.
- Perform advanced field tests (including current requirement test, shorted casing test, IR drop test, soil resistivity, and interference tests) and evaluate the results
- Perform tests to verify the presence of stray current interference and recommend method(s) to mitigate the interference
- Understand AC voltage and its mitigation
- Maintenance of documentation and records, including data plotting and analysis
- Conduct and understand the importance of periodic surveys, including IR- Free readings, polarization decay tests and current measurements
- Test and troubleshoot rectifier component parts
- Understand corrosion coupon test stations
- Understand code requirements related to CP
5 Day Classroom Course
Prerequisites: (not required but recommended):
In-depth high school chemistry and mathematics courses
the NACE Basic Corrosion course
CP 1-Cathodic Protection Tester or equivalent
Prerequisites for Certification:
To achieve certification for NACE Cathodic Protection CP2 Technician there are prerequisites, for more information please click HERE
Please note the Theory examination for this course is taken separately after the completion of the course through a Pearson VUE Testing Centre, waiting times for an appointment may apply.